Saturday, June 18, 2016

Little Lizard King: Harbor Dress-Sew Patriotic!


We got back from our trip to New Mexico earlier this week and can I just say that I just really missed my sewing machine! I was excited to get working on some projects I had been obsessing over the entire 820 mile drive home. I have been crushing on the Harbor pattern by Little Lizard King for a while. I just love the military style details in this pattern. It was perfect for creating a fun patriotic dress for the Fourth of July! The full gathered skirt kept it sweet and feminine and the peplum gave it a bit of a vintage feel. It reminds me something Agent Carter might wear.


If you haven't noticed already, I kind of like anything antique or vintage. I have a modest collection of vintage Pyrex and other housewares that makes me almost as happy as sewing does. I like to think about the history of an item. While they are just "things" I know that they were a part of someone's everyday life. I enjoy imagining what that life was like. I get really excited about creating thing that have story behind them too and this dress has a little "story" in it.  While I was brainstorming about what comes to mind when I think of the Fourth of July, of course, Stars and Stripes, Red White and Blue, Sparklers, Watermelon, and Fireworks all popped into my head. Then, I thought about our military. My Grandfather, Uncle, and Brother have all served in the military and worn a uniform. They are just a few of the many that have worn a uniform for us, for our country. While we were on our trip, my brother let me have one of his old uniforms and I knew it would be perfect to use for this dress. I used the entire length of a pant leg for the bow on the back!

I hope this gives you some inspiration to sew-up your own patriotic dress for the Fourth. You can get Little Lizard King's Harbor pattern HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment