Friday, September 16, 2016

Sew September with Finch Fabrics



Happy National Sewing Month, Sew Sisters(and brothers too)! I've been busy sewing up some pretty fun stuff for my Lilly-girl using patterns by some great designers and gorgeous fabrics from LA Finch Fabrics! I have been wanting to create a mini capsule wardrobe for my little for a while so I chose a few staple pieces to make and added in some store bought items that were already in her closet and really expanded her wardrobe.


We live in the midwest and it's still pretty hot here. I decided to make things that would work now and with layering, transition into fall.


First-up are the Evie Shorts by Made for Mermaids. This is one of my absolute favorite patterns. I made a denim pair this past spring and she has worn them so much! This time, I made them in a faux leather snakeskin in mamba brown from LA Finch Fabrics. *okay pause because we need to talk about this fabric for a sec.* Um this fabric is so amazingly soft. When I got it in the mail I couldn't stop touching it and I proceeded to probably annoy my husband by making him touch it while I raved about it. Ha Ha! It is backed with apparel suede, hence the softness. I was a bit nervous that it might be hard to work with, but it wasn't too difficult. Just a little slippery. As long as you pin (or in my case wonderclip) well it stays put. For pressing, I turned my iron down and used a pressing cloth and it worked out well. The texture and the sheen just make everything you make with it look so luxurious. Anyway, there is also a pant version included in the Evie pattern as well as optional suspenders!



I paired the shorts with a sleeveless peplum top that I made using the Ayda pattern by The Simple Life Pattern company. I guess i'm a creature of habit, because this is another pattern I've used a few times, but I just love Ayda and I am totally crazy about circle skirts. I used a gorgeous pink coral lace, also from LA Finch Fabrics, for this top. The floral print of the lace is so pretty and I think that coral can be a perfect transitional color from summer to fall.



I also paired the Ayda top with a pair of jeans and I made The Phresh Blazer by Winter Wear Designs to top it all off. I have been dreaming of making this blazer all summer and I am so thrilled about the result. I made myself wait until it was closer to fall so that she didn't outgrow it too fast. It looks so good in that faux leather! This was my first time using a WWD pattern and it won't be the last. There are some other sleeve options available, so I think I will need to try those out as well. There is a sew-a-long starting up on the 16th for the women's version of this pattern, maybe I should go for a Mommy & Me look here! Anyway how pretty are those ruffles? She looks like such a little fashionista!

Oh, and I also paired the shorts with a simple denim pearl-snap button down...



...and also added a faux fur vest! I think this get-up will be really cute with cable knit tights and lace-up boots too....





I was so in love with the faux leather, that I went a little crazy and sewed all the things! I have another item made-up that I can't wait to share with you all when the pattern is out of testing. I even have plans for the scraps. Hair-bows...baby moccs for my little guy...pockets and little accents on everything. Indeed.

Yay! So, now Lilly has the perfect mini capsule wardrobe. I've been thinking of lots of other combinations and other simple things to add-in to make it stretch even a little further. Hopefully, I've helped to fuel your sew- jo!



Where to buy:

Fabric: www.lafinchfabrics.com
LA Finch is having a ONE year anniversary sale so you get lots of goodies for a great price!

Patterns:
M4M Evie Shorts- www.madeformermaids,com/evie/?affiliates=12743
SLPco Ayda Top-http://thesimplelifecompany.com/aydas-v-back-peplum-top-dress-with-sleeves-pdf-sewing-patterns-for-girls-sizes-2t-12/
WWD Phresh Blazer-https://www.winterweardesigns.com/products/phresh-blazer-for-girls-size-1-14



No comments:

Post a Comment